Professional Category:Catedrático de Universidad
Manuel García-Carpintero was born in Daimiel (Ciudad Real, Spain) in 1957. He got his “Licenciatura” ( ≈ BA) at the University of Barcelona (1979) and his PhD also at the University of Barcelona (1988), where he has taught since 1984, after teaching at secondary schools between 1979 and 1984. He visited the CSLI, Stanford University, for one academic year (1990-91), and for three-month periods the philosophy departments at MIT (1992), NYU (1997), Oxford (1998) and Lisbon (2011, 2012). He was a fellow at the Center for the Advanced Studies in the Humanities (Edinburgh, 2001), and he has been appointed Visiting Professor at the University of Lisbon (2013-2016, 2016-2020), where he is a member of LanCog, CFUL. His main interests are in philosophical logic, the philosophy of language, the philosophy of mind and related epistemological and metaphysical issues. He was awarded a “Distinció de Recerca” for senior researchers by the Catalan Government between 2002 and 2008, and in 2009 (2009-2013) and 2014 (2014-2018) the prize “ICREA Acadèmia” for excellence in research, also funded by the Generalitat de Catalunya. He is completing a book on the nature of assertion under contract with OUP, entitled Tell Me What You Know.
- Relatar lo Ocurrido como Invención, Manuel García-Carpintero, Cátedra, 2016.
- Tell Me What You Know, Manuel García-Carpintero, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- Indexicals and Reflexivity, Manuel García-Carpintero, Springer, forthcoming.
- Representing Oneself, Manuel García-Carpintero, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- ‘The Mill-Frege Theory of Proper Names’,Mind, forthcoming.
- ‘The Philosophical Significance of theDe Se’,Inquiry 2017, vol. 60(3), 253-276, DOI: 10.1080/0020174X.2017.1262003.
- ‘Accommodating Presuppositions’,Topoi35(1), 37-44 (2016), DOI: 10.1007/s11245-014-9264-5.
- ‘De SeThoughts and Immunity to Error through Misidentification’, Synthese 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s11229-015-0817-y.
- ‘Reference and Reference-Fixing in Pure Quotation’, forthcoming in P. Saka & M. Johnson (eds.),Semantic and pragmatic aspects of quotation, Dordrecht: Springer.
- ‘Mark Richard’sTruth and Truth-Bearers’,Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, 2016, http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/69604-truth-and-truth-bearers-meaning-in-context-volume-ii/.
- ‘To Tell What Happened as Invention: Literature and Philosophy on Learning from Fiction’, inAndrea Selleri and Philip Gaydon (eds.):Literary Studies and the Philosophy of Literature: New Interdisciplinary Directions (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, 123-147).
- ‘Token-reflexive Presuppositions and the De Se’, in García-Carpintero, M. & Torre, S. (eds.),About Oneself, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016, 179-199.
- ‘De SeThoughts’,Oxford Handbooks Online. Ed. Sandy Golberg. Retrieved 12 Nov 2015, DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935314.013.61.